It's definitely a love affair. No question about it. I've come to love green smoothies more than most anything else in my diet. My New Years Resolution this year was to have one green smoothie a day, and I'd say I've been about 93% compliant so far. By the way, in case you are new to this health phenomenon, green smoothies are a blended drink that usually contain a variety of different fruits and dark leafy green veggies. The possible combinations are endless, so as long as you have a blender and source of organic fruits and veggies, the sky is the limit!
Prior to January 2012 I'd have green smoothies religiously during my thrice-yearly Cleanses, and occasionally in between times, but the most part I didn't make a concerted effort to really incorporate them into my diet on a daily basis.
Why? Well, hard to say...but some combination of the usual excuses. I forgot, I was too busy, I was too tired, etc. etc. etc.
Below are the 7 positive changes I've noticed in my health.
1. I'm at my lowest weight in years. In fact, I'm back to the perfect weight for me, after gaining weight a few years ago due to over-exercising, hormonal wackiness, and way to much stress.
2. My adult acne, which has just never seemed to go away completely whatever else I've done with my diet, is virtually non-existent. I still have occasional break-outs, but have seen real improvement in this area - finally!!
3. I've stopped taking all my supplements except for the essentials like fish oil, probiotics, and some herbal adrenal-support tinctures. My body just does not want or need extra supplementation like it used to. Why this change? My only guess is that the nutrients I'm getting in the fresh, raw smoothies each day are providing me with what I need.
4. Sugar cravings are non-existent. Yes, that's right. Completely gone!
5. My love/hate relationship with coffee has changed dramatically. I love the taste of coffee, but my body doesn't love me when I drink it. After a few days of drinking coffee in a row I start to get jittery, have more dramatic blood sugar highs and lows, get mild body pain, get stressed more easily, and generally just feel less like myself. So it's always been an occasional indulgence for me.
Now, with the green smoothies in my diet, I daily have the energy that I previously might have been tempted to turn to coffee to try to find. Coffee just does not have the draw that it used to have. My body now knows to crave a green smoothie, rather than coffee, if it's looking for an energy boost.
6. And speaking of energy...my energy levels are consistently higher and more sustained.
7. My eyes shine and I generally am just more vibrant than I have been in years.
All this with just the simple introduction of one tall glass of blended green goodness per day!
In case you missed it in my February Healthy Bites, here's a great starter green smoothies recipe.
1 1/4 cups frozen or fresh pineapple
1/4 to 1/3 cup coconut milk
2 large handfuls spinach
small handful parsley
1/8 cup or a little more raw cacao nibs
1 to 2 cups filtered water (depending on you preferred consistency)
I love this recipe because it uses the super food, cacao. I happen to personally like the taste combo of pineapple, coconut and cacao - but you can add cacao to any green smoothie for a little extra kick.
Remember, this Cleanse is only being offered once this Spring, because I'm launching my new Evolutionary Healing Class right after the Cleanse finishes. And p.s., there's a great discount for registering for them both!
So please, do yourself a favor, and jump on the healthy eating bandwagon (trust me this is one bandwagon you really want to stay on!), learn how to make some real changes in your eating habits, and experience all the other wonderful benefits of a Spring Cleaning for the Body.
If you want another great green smoothie recipe to get you started on this healthy habit, please read this article HERE - recipe at the end of article.